Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
VPN Service Description and Instructions
(GlobalProtect SSL VPN)
** The Baruch VPN service and client should at least be version 18.104.22.168
The Baruch College VPN service allows users to access Baruch College network services such as internal web servers, file servers or desktop computers from off-campus. VPN usage is only needed for administrative and faculty users who need to access confidential University data stored on Baruch desktop computers or file shares. VPN is used by most users to access their Windows desktop computers through Microsoft Remote Desktop, from which they can access their confidential data.
Follow this link for, Additional Information regarding Baruch VPN and working with VPN to access Baruch applications and services
- Baruch College faculty and staff members who require access to secure desktop or network share data, or specialized internal servers
- External vendors/contractors currently engaged in contract work with the college
Baruch College Faculty and Staff
- The user must submit an e-mail to The Baruch College Help Desk answering the following questions:
- Is the computer Baruch-issued or your own computer?
- What operating system is installed on it?
- When was the last time you checked with the Operating System vendor (i.e., Microsoft or Apple) for system updates?
- What anti-virus software do you use?
If the equipment is Baruch/CUNY then McAfee must be installed and up-to-date. If the equipment is personally owned, you are entitled to a free copy of McAfee from the CUNY Offers website.. However if you do not use McAfee, you must have an up-to-date and licensed commercial anti-virus product.
- Do you have a current subscription for the anti-virus software?
- When was the last time you checked for anti-virus updates (or is it set to do updates automatically)?
- Do you plan on accessing "Confidential" information as defined by the CUNY Data Classification Policy? If yes, please describe the information and your intended use.
- The e-mail must be cc’d to the user's department chair or administrative unit director.
- The user's department chair or administrative unit director must then confirm via an e-mail to The Baruch College Help Desk that the user is currently employed and should be provided a VPN account.
- Once both the e-mail from the user and the department chair or administrative unit director has been received, the request will be processed and the account created. The BCTC will follow up to confirm the account setup and provide information about using the VPN service and accessing your office desktop with Microsoft Remote Desktop
- A department chair or administrative unit director must make the electronic or written request to the Baruch College Help Desk, with confirmation of the following:
- No Non-Public University Information (as explained above) will be accessed over the VPN.
- The requester must affirm that there is a contractual relationship between the college and the vendor.
- The department head/administrative unit director must also identify in the request:
- A period of time for which the VPN account should be permitted
- Acknowledge that an extension will require an additional request
- The proposed VPN user must also provide the following
- Confirmation from the proposed VPN user that he/she is using a Windows computer or a Mac OS X computer that is fully patched and running current anti-virus and anti-spyware software (stating the brand and release/version)
- The BCTC will need an authorization from the contracting entity permitting their representative to use the VPN.
- The BCTC will send an e-mail to the user confirming the account setup and additional information about using the VPN service.
To complete these instructions, you will need:
- An established internet connection to your ISP
- An Active Directory faculty-staff account
See Process for Obtaining VPN Access
- A computer running that meets the minimum system requirements
See System Requirements
- Windows 10 (32/64 bit)
- Administrator privileges on Windows Operating System
- Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra) - 10.15 (Catalina)
- Administrator access to the Mac
Please make it a point to upgrade the GlobalProtect VPN service. Going forward you will receive upgrade notices for the software. These upgrades are required for enhancd security or new features. If you need assistance in doing this, please do not hesitate the contact the Baruch College Help Desk.